Tree Retreat, an Ojai retreat with vegetarian
cuisine, is the former home of philosopher J. Krishnamurti, perhaps
Ojai’s most famous resident. Krishnamurti
lived here from 1922 to 1986, welcoming visitors from around the
world who were challenged by his penetrating inquiries into the
fundamental questions of life. These included such 20th Century
luminaries as Annie Besant, Aldous Huxley, John Barrymore, Greta
David Bohm, Dr. Jonas Salk, D.H. Lawrence, Jackson Pollack, Igor
Stravinsky and many others. The retreat guest rooms
are named after these visitors, some of whom stayed in the rooms
that are named for them.
(See detailed history).
Valley's Pepper Tree Retreat Offers:
• Ten guest rooms in a vintage 1910 farmhouse and more recent
cottages. We are a quiet, adult retreat - no children, no pets.
• All rooms have a private bath, writing desk, wi-fi connectivity,
and air conditioning.
• A large front porch, trellised outdoor dining area, gardens,
and lovely views.
• Three rooms have their own kitchen and another offers a kitchenette.
• Public rooms and outdoor meeting areas for individual and
small group use.
• Check-in is between 3-6pm. Check-out is 11am.
Note: For late check-ins (after 6am), please let us know in advance: (877) 355-5986.
• Beautiful views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
• Access to the nearby Krishnamurti Library (open Thursdays through Sundays), where guests
can draw inspiration from Krishnamurti’s insights into life.
• We are a vegetarian (non vegan) retreat and there is NO COOKING in the main kitchen (main kitchen is for staff-use only). In the main dining room, there is a small fridge and microwave for guest use. There is also a Tea cart in the dining room, available all the time.
• Every morning we offer a complimentary, continental-style breakfast between 8:30-10:00am which offers mostly organic and some gluten-free choices. Catered HOT dish of EGGS or PANCAKES is available on the weekend (SAT/SUN morning).
•For lunch and dinner, guests need their own transportation to downtown Ojai which is 4 miles away.
(unless you book one of our four rooms that offer a kitchen facility)
•All rooms are automatically blocked off for periods when KFA events are scheduled. If you're interested in participating in an event, first sign up on the event page (see events calendar) then call the retreat directly to reserve your room.